Friday, January 10th, TechSoup's NonProfit Commons in Second Life meeting will feature Elijah van der Giessen, community manager of TechSoup's NetSquared community, who will present on creating community for nonprofit technologists.
NetSquared Local (Net2Local) connects the nonprofit and technology communities. Powered by a network of volunteers, we hold monthly meetings in cities around the world where people can come together to share best practices, case studies, and support each other’s projects.
Sounds a lot like the Nonprofit Commons in Second Life, doesn't it?
Join us for a short overview of Net2Local, followed by a discussion of how these two nonprofit communities are both similar and different.
- What are the strengths of hybrid online/offline communities and how can they be created?
- How has NPSL created a strong sense of community and what Net2Local can learn from NPSL's experience
- The unique characteristics of synchronous events like (Net2Local and NPSL) vs. asynchronous communities (message boards, forums , etc.)
Learn more at http://www.netsquared.org
Eli strives to be a connector - the interstitial tissue that holds the muscle of a community together. He's been a volunteer manager, an event organizer and a digital campaigner. Basically he'll take any gig that allows him to enable a group of passionate people to create things they love.
Currently he's the NetSquared Community Manager supporting a global volunteer network of 50 monthly meetups for the nonprofit technology sector. Together they hold over 450 events per year. You can follow Eli on twitter at https://twitter.com/elijah and read more on his site at http://www.vandergiessen.ca.
Join us in Second Life!
Nonprofit Commons Weekly Meeting
Friday, January 10th, 8:30 AM PDT / SLT
Plush Nonprofit Commons Amphitheater
AGENDA (all times below PT)
- 8:30 am Introductions
- 8:40 am TechSoup Announcements
- 8:45 am Mentors Central
- 9:00 am Featured Presentation - Creating Community for Nonprofit Technologists: How NetSquared's Volunteers Contribute to a Nonprofit Commons, OR: Kissing Cousins: The Forbidden Love Uniting NetSquared and NPSL
- 9:45 am Open Mic / Announcements
The mission of the Nonprofit Commons in Second Life is to create a community for nonprofits to explore and learn about virtual worlds, foster connections, and discover the many ways in which nonprofits might utilize the unique environment of Second Life to achieve their missions.
Bookmark/Search this post with: